Monday, March 5, 2012

Flashlight of Gratitude

Frequently families I am journeying with in the dying process ask me, "How do you do this all the time?"
Often I respond by saying it is on honor to share such sacred time with people and to walk with them on holy ground.
Today I stumble upon a new answer.   In her book, Attitudes of Gratitude, M.J. Ryan quotes a friend who said, "Gratitude is like a flashlight.  If you go out in your yard at night and turn on a flashlight, you suddenly can see what's there.  It was always there, but you couldn't see it in the dark."
Spending time with people at the end of life is a flashlight of gratitude for me.  It shines light on the things that can easily go unnoticed: laughter shared with a friend, the sun sparkling on snow, a hug from my kid for no special reason, a meal shared with loved ones and an appetite to enjoy it,  the bird's song as an alarm clock, the freedom to move,  a smile from a stranger.
I am grateful for the work that I do, because it makes my life brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment