Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Spring Flowers

My tulips and crocus were seeking sunlight as they peeked through their winter blanket of leaves.  It is highly likely that they will need to go into hiding again when we get another blast of Minnesota winter.

I was hit with a blast of winter's grief this week.  The spring flowers of healing sought cover when a firefighter came into the office to do an inspection.  He inquired about the picture of Dave in his fireman's gear. I proudly said, "That is my brother."  Looking closer he said, "Steamboat Springs, Colorado.  Nice. Will you ask him if they have any openings?"  Frozen by a cold blast of grief,  I  welled up with tears and said, "I can't.  He died."  His eyes glassed over  and I felt the rawness of winter's wind return as I remembered David's funeral. The church isles were lined with big strapping firefighters standing at attention with tears rolling down their cheeks.

It has been seven years since David died.  Life is once again filled with spring flowers, but every once and a while winter returns and the flowers seek a protective blanket.  My family covered me with the warmth of their love and the snow melted fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment